Since 1 January 1992 all EU citizens do not require work permits to take up employment in Spain. To work in Spain you must within one month of arrival you should apply to the local police station (Comisaría de Policía) or Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) for a Residence Card (Tarjeta de Residencia).

The application must be accompanied by:-

* A valid passport and photocopy of its page.
* Three passport-sized colour photographs.
* For employees: they should present their job contract or a certificate from the employer.
* For self-employed persons must additionally establish that they have applied for all the necessary documentation to engage in their proposed activity. This can only be that which would be required from a Spanish citizen in the same circumstances but can be complex.

Self-employed, however, is required to do two visits, first to "Hacienda" or the local tax office, the second to the "Tesoreria de la Seguridad Social" or the local Social Security office. At Hacienda, you have to fill out a long series of forms providing info such as your address, your work address (if your business is not your home), as well as documentation certifying that your permits to run the business are in order. The tax office people are usually very helpful in filling out the forms. With the document you've filled out stamped and registered by the tax office, you then have to go to Social security and apply to be registered as a "trabajador por cuenta propia". Once that is in order, the Seguridad Social office issues you a number, and you begin paying (starting from the date in which the Tax office has stamped your form) monthly seguridad social to the state.